Skyline Terrace’s Team
Our compassionate and knowledgeable team of professionals is dedicated to caring for your loved one. If you are interested in working with us, please look at our open positions under the Careers link.
Dr. Nathaniel C. Kirkland Jr.
MD, Medical Director
Early in my medical practice, I recognized that my excellent medical training did not adequately address many of my patient’s needs and relied much too heavily upon medications. My primary interest initially was on the relation of the mind-body connection in the production and resolution of the disease and on various methods of influencing that connection positively.
Additional explorations included herbal and homeopathic treatments, Ayurvedic medicine, functional medicine, and acupuncture with an emphasis on functional medicine and acupuncture.
It has been my experience that patients can be best cared for with a blend of the best of conventional and alternative medicine, focusing on the underlying root causes of disease and dysfunction and educating and empowering individuals to care for themselves.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: Rhodes College, BA in Biology 1968
- Medical School: University of Virginia, MD 1973
- Residency Training: University of Virginia 1973-75
- Chief Resident Family Practice, University of Virginia 1975
- Training, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, University of Massachusetts
- Training, Mind-Body Medicine, Center for Mind-Body Medicine, Washington DC 1995
- Medical Acupuncture, Physician Training Program UCLA 1997
- Functional Medicine, Institute for Functional Medicine, Currently in Certification Process
Board Certifications and Memberships
- Fellow, American Board of Family Practice
- Diplomat, American Board of Holistic Medicine
- Diplomat, American Board of Medical Acupuncture
- Member, American Academy of Family Practice
- Member, American Academy of Integrative and Holistic Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
- Member, Institute for Functional Medicine
- Member, Medical Staff, Shenandoah Memorial Hospital
Dr. Claudia Methvin
Claudia Methvin was born and raised in McLean, Virginia, and developed an interest in natural sciences while rambling the Potomac forests as a child.
After attending the University of Virginia, she graduated in three years with a bachelor’s degree in psychology. She moved to San Francisco for a few years after college, taking courses from San Francisco State University and working in various research settings at the University of California, San Francisco.
In 1995, Dr. Methvin moved to New Orleans, Louisiana to attend Tulane Medical School. She then did her three-year residency in Family Medicine in Asheville, North Carolina.
Dr. Methvin has been in solo primary care practice in Woodstock, Virginia since 2002, and cares for a population of more than 6,000 patients out of an old home on Main Street. She loves the rural lifestyle of the Shenandoah Valley. She is married to John Trent, an attorney, and has two adult stepchildren.
Dr. Methvin enjoys working on her 31-acre property in the first bend of the Shenandoah North Fork, caring for several gardens, a historic home, two dogs, four cats, nine chickens, and seven geese.
Gregory D. Byrd
Dr. Gregory Byrd has interests in cardiology, echocardiography, diabetes, and gastroenterology. He attended medical school at Eastern Virginia Medical School and performed his residency at Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center.
Deanne Craft, NHA
Rebecca Kline, RN
Director of Nursing
Director of Maintenance
Meta Kelley, ALFA, LPN
Director of Resident Care/Memory Lane
Director of Social Services and Administration